|GOLDEN STATE COUPONS™
"Economical, Quantifiable Results"
|Copyright © 2009 Golden State Coupons
- Macintosh platform preferred (but windows software still accepted).
- Application Software: Freehand, Illustrator, Page Maker, Photoshop, and Quark
- Modem Software: Microphone Lt.
- Supply a directory of names (not icons) of the disk window with each job.
- Supply a hard copy proof, color thermal or laser printouts, at 100% (specify
reduction of proof if not at 100%). Indicate (PMS) colors on the file and provide a
proof for each.
- Print with registration on to include crop marks and file name.
- Any "For Position Only" (FPO) images should be indicated.
- If an image needs to be silhouetted, indicate "SILO".
If a file is sent via modem, fax a hard copy proof including the file name, crop marks,
date and time.
- Valassis will be responsible for all trapping of electronic files.
- Client should supply copies of all screen and printer fonts used in page layout or
- Separate folders should be provided for each font family used.
- Apple TrueTypeTMfonts should NOT be used.
Electronic Delivery Options
The following disk formats may be used for delivery:
- SyQuest® Disks - 44, 88 or 200
- SyQuest® EZ-135
- Bernoulli 44
- Zip® Disks (All formats)
- Jazz® Disks (All formats)
- Optical Disks - 512 or 1024 Sector
- 3.5 Inch Diskette
- 600 MB, 1.2 GB and 1.3 GB magento-optical disks
(E-mail address for file transfer only)
- Text only or text and low resolution images.
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Transparencies are preferred. They should be photographed to publication
standards and be color corrected.
- C-prints, dye transfers, and "wash" art are acceptable.
- When mounting reflective art, tape it onto a hard board to allow for easy
removal when scanning.
NOTE: Flexible coupon locations on one set of 4/C negatives will
- Separations with 50% GCR (gray com-ponent replacement) are recommended. A
flat shadow curve is required in the black separation with a maximum printing
density of 70%. UCA (undercolor addition) should not exceed 280%.
- If not incorporating GCR, UCR (under-color removal) in neutral blacks with a
maximum density of 280% is strongly recommended.
- Allow for a 25% on press dot gain with your separations.
- 133 line, round dot halftone screens are strongly recommended for quality print
- To ensure clean trapping on press:
- Reflex Blues: Maximum magenta of 60%.Add 10-15% black for weight.
- Browns: Color break using black in place of blue when possible, or reduce cyan
and black at least 10% each.
- 3/C Solids: Minimum solid densities in yellow, magenta, and cyan processes.
- Register marks should be centered vertically and horizontally 1/8" outside live
image area of ad.
- Trim marks should be at corners 1/8" outside live image area of ad.
- Use any stable base film of .004" thickness which produces a hard dot image.
- Negatives must be submitted as right reading when emulsion side is down.
- Provide one set of 4/C negatives for each coupon position and/or 4/C version.
incur extra production charges.
- Provide one additional composite black for each black version (a complete set of
4/C film is not necessary).
- Label all materials with ad name and insert date.
- All materials should be viewed/compared under illumination having a correlated
color temperature of 5000 degrees Kelvin (C.R.I. 90-100).
- Customer-supplied film is stored in a secure location for one year. After this
time, it is purged.
Fine and Reverse Lettering
- Fine color type should be composed of no more than one process color.
- Reverse (knock-out) type should be restricted to a one-color background. If
multiple color backgrounds are used, the dominant color will hold shape;
secondary colors should be spread back. Minimum point size on reverse type
should be 9 point.
Additional Coupon Codes
- When changing codes within your promotion, it is not necessary to supply us
with additional negatives or typesetting. Typesetting will be provided as part of
the process of changing your code. Simply send a list of codes, along with their
market assignments, to your Promotion Coordinator.
- Supply version and code information along with ad materials. This information
may be sent earlier.
- Follow Universal Product Code or Nielsen Code guidelines for bar code
- Bar codes should be 100% magnification with black bars/numbers on a white
- All UPC codes must incorporate a bar width reduction of .0025 to allow for press
gain and insure an accurate scan.
Horizons Coding Specifications
- Horizons Coding coupons must contain an offer code.
- Leave 1/4”- 3/4” of white space over the OCR code for four digit Horizons code.
If you are running an extended bar code, allow 1/4”- 3/4” space over the
extended code (see examples).
- t A 5-digit offer code must be included over the UPC.
- t Bar codes should not be truncated or reduced to less than 80% in order to
accommodate Horizons codes.
- One 4/c proof on publication base with matte finish must accompany each set of
- A dylux, blueline or white print must be supplied for each additional black
- Recommended color sequence: (1) Yellow (2) Magenta (3) Cyan (4) Black
- Use Matchprint SWOP publication colors.
- 3M Matchprint, GATF or System Brunner color bars must appear on all
Special Applications Available
- Multi-part Split - allows you to test your ad with different creatives, values, ad
sizes or coupon locations within a single market.
- Tabbed Page - your ad can be printed on wider paper, leaving an exposed edge
for greater visibility.
- Rub-Off - this special application can be used to cover a special offer.
- Scratch & Sniff - allows you to incorporate the scent of your product as part of
- Remoistenable Glue - a remoistenable adhesive used for affixing or sealing.
- Fragrance Burst™ scent-a-peel - a self adhesive fragrant label.
- Place all material between cardboard.
- Overnight courier is recommended.
- Send all film/artwork to Golden State Coupons